The year 2016 has come to an end and what a year it has been!
And when I say that I mean that in a positive as well as a negative way. There have been a lot of ups and downs, as is expected in life I guess. I saw one of my friends do this on Facebook and I decided to follow her example.
For a big part of the year I’ve been feeling really negative about myself and my abilities and I know for a fact that it is backlash from last year – 2015. Which on a personal level was a really difficult year for me. But with everything that was going on in 2015 I knew I couldn’t afford to break down.The problem was that I knew that not allowing myself to break down right then and there it would actually come back to catch me once I settled down. And it did, during this year when I was feeling happy and content with life the insecurities came back to haunt me and they did quite a number on me. Sometimes I wonder if I might be caught in the middle of a depression. And that is why it is important to remember the good things that happened;
- All of the crap from my old job got solved both financially as well as legally and I was able to move on rather quickly at the beginning of the year.
- I got a new job!
- The same job at a different company.
- And I joined the residents’ association at my apartment building.
- I switched to an advanced power yoga class! Yes, I’m doing pretty well at yoga and it feels awesome!
- I was able to surprise my mother with Pinkpop tickets for the Sunday so we could see Paul McCartney.
- I am the proud owner of an Xbox One and I have had a blast this past year playing The Division, Halo and Destiny with total strangers. It truly is a fun experience!
- My parents celebrated their fortieth Marriage anniversary. Forthy years, not something a lot of people these days manage.
- They decided not to have a big party but instead we all – my parents, my sister and brother-in-law an I went to Portugal for a long weekend. Lisboa is a beautiful city and it felt wonderful to get away for a couple of days.
- I visited Amsterdam and the Body Worlds exposition. It was really interesting and I learned a lot about the human body.
- I participated in Nanowrimo – I might have lost, since I didn’t make it to 50 000 words – but it got me back to writing again. Which was something which I really needed to do as I hadn’t been writing for months.
- During the year we’ve had multiple meetings with The Epic Blue Unicorn group aka my writers group! A great group of friends who I love!
- My computer was due for an upgrade and I recently became the proud owner of a laptop. Yes, I still only had my desktop computer and whenever I wanted to write somewhere else during a write-in I used my tablet and a bluetooth keyboard. Which works fine but let’s be honest this is easier. Now I can go wherever I want and I always have all of my files with me and I can use Scrivener for all of my writing.
- I worked a lot of extra hours this year and therefore I was able to do things I usually wouldn’t spend money on.
- My weight has always been a problem but this past year (partly due to stress) I managed to adjust my eating patterns and I lost a lot of weight. I don’t know exactly how much but it’s more than a full clothing size.
- I got this awesome Mandala colouring book for Christmas from my mom, she saw it and immediately thought of me and how it would make the perfect gift. I love it, the designs are so pretty and diverse.
If I look back on this list I see a lot of positive things that happened in the past year and it makes me wonder why I’ve spent so much time feeling so negative about my life, about me as a person and my place in the world. Maybe I should make a list like this every month. I need to be more aware of all the positive stuff in my life.
I hope that other’s will follow this example and create their own list of things which made them happy during this past year. There is so much more that I could add. I started this list yesterday and today I doubled the entries and I’m sure that I could add even more if I took some more time to think about it. But I’m going to leave it at this.
All there is left for me to say is that I hope that you all have a wonderfull end of the year and have lots of fun things to look forward to in 2017! Happy New Year!